Ashlee Tayag, RN, tells us her personal story about the difficulties of breastfeeding and the stigma around bottle-feeding. Ashlee is a labor and delivery nurse, where she encourages other new moms to exclusively breastfeed. Despite knowing every trick in the book and seeking the help of lactation consultants, she ended up bottle feeding!
Ashlee explains the challenges and difficulties she faced while breastfeeding in the first few weeks of her daughter’s life. She admits she felt like she was failing her daughter when she personally found breastfeeding extremely challenging. After coming to terms that breastfeeding wasn’t working for her, Ashlee gave her daughter, Ellis, a bottle without shame. She feels more women should seek their own best feeding path and supports the “fed is best” movement.
“The important thing is to not be so judgmental towards yourself in your experience. If you are a first time mom, this is something you have never done before and neither has your baby. So, you are both learning how to be successful at this. And if this isn’t your first baby, it’s important to remember that every baby’s different. And every baby presents their own set of challenges.”
- Seek the help of lactation consultants as soon as possible.
- Get support from friends, family, and the community.
- Don’t feel guilty. You are not a failure or a bad mom if it doesn’t work like how you envisioned.
- Make the decision that’s best for YOU and your baby!
- “My Brest Friend” Support Pillow Best support pillow known to fellow lactation consultants and nursing mamas. Ashlee specifically said how important literal and figurative support is during breastfeeding. This pillow has good back support, snaps into place for a snug fit and easy repositioning, and even holds your water!
- Baby Brezza Safe and Smart Bottle Warmer Fancy, tech-friendly bottle warmer that connects to your phone via Bluetooth to get breastmilk or formula heated perfectly. Looks great out on the counter and is the one that Ashlee recommends!
- Baby Merlin’s Magic Sleepsuit Wondering where Ellis was during this interview? Sleeping soundly in this sleepsuit! Ashlee sings it’s praises and Ellis is sleeping a full 10-11 hours a night in this thing! Cue the angels singing!
We may receive compensation through the issuer’s affiliate programs when you click on links to products.